Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Training for the 3 - day, June 2008

This was a repost from my Myspace last spring....

Spring, errrr…..Summer, has finally arrived (as I write this it is 89 stinkin degrees outside and has the wind to match) and I’ve been enjoying myself in the city as much as possible. Yes, my city, Chicago.

I have made the trip in via Metra the last 2 weekends to continue my Breast Cancer 3-day walk training and between the two days one week apart, have racked up about 28 miles of pavement pounding that reaches as far south as Roosevelt and all the way north to the beach and many routes in between. My miles spanned across about 7 hours, so the 13 miles didn’t really feel that bad.

I was fortunate enough this trip around to actually see the planters complete with blooming tulips. This was the first time I was so privileged. Here are some of the shots.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I had packed in some shopping as well as a rest at the North Beach Castaways for a siesta and a 16 ouncer. The first day I went, it was a cool 50 degrees or so and because it was the first day the beach was open, there more people playing volleyball in their new bikinis and board shorts than I thought should be out so naked in that cold.

Photobucket

Photobucket


I was even able to be obliged by the Buckingham fountain to see her spouting all of her glory….another first for me surprisingly.

Photobucket

The path from the south side to the north was beautiful and I marvel at how well the city treats its pedestrians. They have several, not just one, paths following any general direction at any given time. If you want to walk through the rose garden, the city obliges. If you want to walk next to the roadway, again obliging. If you want to be more solitude, they accommodate those as well with this beautiful tree-lined path. Despite the amount of people that use the path, it feels as if you’re the only one because of the trees.


Photobucket

The lake view from Adler Planetarian on my southern part of my trip was stellar, as usual. The last time I was there though was a 60 degree day in February last year when I wanted to take some ice shots of the lake and the skyline. Sadly, it had already melted. Global warming is scary. The skyline is just as beautiful.

Photobucket

And another…..

Photobucket



Upon walking back on MI avenue, I happened to bottleneck near the Tribune building and noticed for the first time the stones embedded in the side of the bricks denoting all the famous pieces of stone and materials taken from famous buildings and landmarks from all around the world. Here are some of them. Amazing huh? I still am in awe at the new things I learn with each visit.

I wonder though….who was supplying us with these pieces of these buildings and wonder now how structurally sound they are after said bricks were removed and put into our building.

This fine building was constructed in 1925, so says the brick.

Photobucket


Edinburgh Castle

Photobucket


Westminster Abbey

Photobucket

The Taj Majal – WOW!

Photobucket

A piece of the Massachusettes building at Harvard University & a piece from a building in Switzerland. Hey, how famous could it be? I’ve never even heard of it.

Photobucket

Luther’s Warburg in Germany – HUH?

Photobucket



And finally, the Great Wall of China. Very cool.

Photobucket

I am amazed every day I visit, but vow that next visit, that it’s just me, my book, my ipod and a towel for a casual dip into the lake up at North Beach. Gosh, who could ask for more?

No comments: